Although the exact year of its founding is unknown, tradition holds that this ancient temple was rebuilt during the Tensho era (1573 to 1592). According to the Kii Shoku-fudoki (an early 19th century geography record), the principal image of Kada-ji Temple, a depiction of three Buddhas, was moved to Jogyo-ji Temple after Kada-ji was destroyed by fire.
Kada-ji Temple was founded by En no Gyoja as a sacred training site, and the temple buildings were built at the order of Emperor Daigo (early 10th century). It is believed to have been the first training site on the Katsuragi Shugen pilgrimage route. Tradition holds that the Mukai family, which welcomed En no Gyoja to Kada, later became stewards of Kada-ji Temple. During the Edo Period (1603 to 1867), the Mukai family came to be known as Zenki, which was the name of a servant of En no Gyoja. An ancient juniper tree believed to be 400 years old can be seen on the west side of the main hall.
Wakayama City Tourism Department 073-435-1234
1523 Kada, Wakayama-shi, Wakayama Prefecture
10 min. walk from Nankai Kada Station
Open 24 hours