This ancient temple, which belongs to the Seizan Jodo school of Buddhism, is located in Nishinosho, Wakayama.
The Kannon-do behind the main hall contains statues of Juichimen (“11-faced”) Kannon Bosatsu and En no Gyoja. The statues were moved to Sainen-ji Temple when Shinpuku-ji Temple, which was the location of sutra mound #2, was closed during the Meiji Period (1868 to 1912). The stone lantern in front of the temple bears an inscription that reads “Second prayer station of Katsuragi, March 1805,” indicating that treasures, stone objects, and other items were moved from Shinpuku-ji Temple to Sainen-ji Temple.
905 Nishinosho, Wakayama-shi, Wakayama Prefecture
10 min. walk from Nankai Nishinosho Station
Open 24 hours
5 spaces (to the east of the temple)