Cultural Assets-Other

Old Drawing of Negoro-ji Temple

This drawing depicts the precincts of Negoro-ji Temple at the height of its prosperity during the latter half of the Muromachi Period (16th century). The work is believed to date sometime after 1690, when the Daishi (“great master”) title was conferred posthumously upon the priest Kakuban Shonin (1095 to 1144), who founded the temple. Due to the depiction of the sun and moon at its right edge along with a large number of people, the drawing is believed to have played the role of a “sankei mandala,” a scroll painting that includes images of pilgrims worshiping at a temple. The inclusion of a path leading into sacred mountains in the drawing indicates that the beliefs of Katsuragi Shugen had been accepted. The drawing has been designated a Cultural Property by Wakayama Prefecture, and a replica is on display at the Negoro Museum of History.


Negoro-ji Temple office 0736-62-1144


2286 Negoro, Iwade-shi, Wakayama Prefecture (Negoro-ji Temple)


5 min. drive from Iwade-Negoro IC on Keinawa Expressway (Negoro-ji Temple)


Adults 500 yen (Negoro-ji Temple)


April through October 9:10 to 16:30; November through March 9:10 to 16:00 pm (Negoro-ji Temple)


Open year-round (Negoro-ji Temple)


80 spaces (Negoro-ji Temple)